Your data controller while visiting this website is the Latvian Startup Association Startin.LV (our official registered name: biedrība Latvijas Jaunuzņēmumu asociācija ). Registration number: 40008247834.
Legal address: Rīga, Kronvalda bulvāris 4, LV-1010
Who are we?
Latvian Startup Association “Startin.LV” is a non-profit, non-government organization, established in 2016 in a grassroots movement to unite the voices of the Latvian start-ups, develop the start-up community and facilitate mutual understanding within the start-up environment.
What data do we collect?
Processing of association’s members’ data.
- We process the data you provide when filling out the “Startin.LV new member form”. Such data are the e-mail address, first and last name, phone number, personal identification number, information about your company, and information provided in social networks (if social networks are indicated).
Processing information published in social networks.
- If social networks are indicated we process information provided on the following social networks: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Medium.
- Startin.LV collects the annual membership fee from its members. Therefore, we process members’ billing data when the association’s membership fee is paid. Such data are the company’s name, legal address and registration number.
Applications for events organized by the association.
- We process data included in applications for events organized by our association such data are name, last name, telephone number, e-mail address, and name of the company.
- When a user subscribes to our monthly newsletter or applies for an on-demand webinar, we collect his/her email address.
What are the purposes and legal basis for processing personal data?
Attracting association’s members.
- The purpose of processing members’ data derives from the purpose of our association, which is to help Latvian start-ups grow by giving them access to knowledge, network, opportunities and business perks. The legal basis is our legitimate interests.
Communication and social networks.
- The legal basis for communication and processing data included in social networks is our legitimate interests.
Processing billing data.
- The legal basis for the processing of your billing data derives from the agreement on membership in the association concluded between the Startin.LV and you, as well as the applicable regulatory acts.
Processing data included in applications for events organized by the association.
- The legal basis for processing data included in applications for events organized by the association is our legitimate interests to ensure the successful conduct of organized events that are related to the purpose of our activity.
What is the period for which the personal data will be stored and where it will be stored?
Personal data is stored until the specified purpose of processing is achieved, that is:
- When we have pursued our legitimate interests.
- When we are not obliged to store your personal data according to applicable laws.
- When a mutually concluded contract between you and us ends.
- If the data processing is based on your consent it will be stored until your consent is withdrawn.
Once the specified purpose is achieved your personal data is permanently deleted in a secure manner. We do not transfer your personal data to countries outside the European Economic Area. We may transfer your data to law enforcement authorities and supervisory authorities if a legal notice is received as far as it does not exceed the performance of necessary functions.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are downloaded and stored on your computer or other device (eg smartphone, tablet) and stored in your web browser during your visit to the website. They can be used to keep track of which pages on the website you visit, to save information you have entered or to remember your preferences, such as language settings, as you browse the website.
Your rights and how you may exercise them.
Right To Access Data
You can ask us to do the following:
- Confirm whether we are processing your personal data;
Right To Have Data Rectified
- You can ask us to correct inaccurate personal data.
Right to have data erased
You can ask us to delete your personal data, but only if:
- The data is no longer needed for the purposes for which it was received or processed; or
- You have withdrawn your consent (if data processing was based on consent); or
- The data has been unlawfully processed; or
- to comply with a legal obligation applicable to us.
We do not have to comply with your request to delete your personal data if the processing of your personal data is necessary to:
- Fulfil a legal obligation;
- Bring, exercise or defend legal claims.
Right To Restrict Processing
You can ask us to restrict (retain but not use) your personal data, but only if:
- Their accuracy is contested to allow us to verify data accuracy; or
- The processing is illegal, but you do not want to erase data; or
- Data are no longer needed for the purpose for which they were collected, but you still need them to bring, fulfil or defend legal claims; or
- You have exercised your right to object and the determination of the primary grounds for data processing is ongoing.
We may continue to use your personal data following a restriction request if:
- We have your consent; or
- To bring, fulfil or defend legal claims; or
- To protect the rights of other natural or legal persons.
Right to data portability
You can ask us to provide your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format, or ask us to “transfer” it directly to another data controller of your choice, but only if:
- Processing is based on your consent or the fulfilment of a contract concluded with you; and
- Processing is carried out by automated means.
The right to portability includes only the data you provide.
Right to object processing.
You can object to the processing of your personal data based on “legitimate interests” if you believe that your fundamental rights and freedoms are more important than our legitimate interests.
When you have objected, we have the opportunity to demonstrate that we have significant legitimate interests that override your rights and freedoms.
Exercising your rights is free of charge. However, if your request for access to information is unreasonable or excessive, we have the right to charge a reasonable amount according to the circumstances, based on administrative expenses. We will inform you of any costs before fulfilling your request.
StartinLV reserves the right to ask you to prove your identity if you submit a request to exercise any of the rights described here.
Providing an answer.
You have the right to submit a request to us about your personal data. We will reply within one month of receiving it. However, if the requests are particularly complicated or if you have submitted several requests, this period may be extended to three months. We will inform you if it takes more than one month for a response.
The right to address the supervisory authority.
If you have concerns about the legality of your data processing, you have the right to contact the supervisory authority – Data State Inspectorate (Datu valsts inspekcija), email@example.com, address: Elijas iela 17, Riga, LV-1050.